See more: Portovenere – Italy’s Hidden Treasure
An ancient road leading to Doria Castle passes by the Romanesque Church of St. Lawrence, which was built in 1098 by the Genoese. It occupies the site of ancient temple dedicated to Romany mythology of Jupiter. A fire took the church ablaze in 1340, and then an attack in 1494 by the Aragonese. A full restoration was completed by 1582.