- Name: Shelter Island Estate
- Main Residence: 24,375 sq. ft.
- Bedrooms: 5
- Bathrooms: 8
- Floors: 3
- Guest House: 5,289 sq. ft.
- Bedrooms: 2
- Bathrooms: 4
- Total Buildings: Over 44,000 sq. ft.
- Property Size: 24.3-acre island
- Built: 2011
- Type: Private Island Estate
- Lake: Located in the largest natural freshwater lake west of the Mississippi.
- Flathead Lake: Notable as one of the cleanest lakes in the world.
- Shoreline: Shelter Island features over 7,000 feet of private shoreline.
- Proximity: Situated next to world famous Glacier National Park.
- Features: Indoor shooting range and heated boat stalls with rail system.
- Exterior: 10,000 sq. ft. of heated porticos and exterior entertaining space.
- Recreation: World class Sporting Clay Course and nearly 1-mile of trails.
- Building Totals: Over 44,000 sq. ft.
- Estate Totals: 14 bedrooms
A majestic mountain aerie, Shelter Island Estate, sits atop a solid granite foundation on 24-acre Shelter Island, rising from Montana’s Flathead Lake; one of the top 3 cleanest lakes in the world. This rare estate is the largest private home in Montana, featuring over 32,000 sq. ft. of structures and commands 7,000 feet of prime lakeside frontage which is extremely unique for private ownership. Being situated next to Glacier National Park is one more grand facet of this incredible jewel of a property.
The 5 bedroom/8 bath main house is over 24,000 sq. ft. with 10,000 sq. ft. of heated porticos and outdoor entertaining space that surrounds the residence and allows indoor/outdoor living and entertaining on the largest scale. The great room features 45-foot ceilings with a 2nd story gallery that encircles the room. A gleaming, copper conservatory is the perfect place to watch Montana wildlife unfold before your eyes, in all seasons. It captures year-round natural light and illuminates the space between the grand hall and the mahogany-lined office. Additional compliments of the office include another limestone fireplace and 4-inch-thick doors that open onto the main portico. The master bedroom suite is the centerpiece of the main floor with wrap around porticos and porches, a domed ceiling with delicate umber, coved lighting. The mahogany closet, with refrigerator, leads to the expansive master bathroom with black and white Carrara marble. Additional 4 bedrooms feature the same quality and craftsmanship as used throughout the estate.
The main house also features a wine cellar, an indoor shooting range, and gym with lake views and large shower and steam bath. The ground floor also has a heated boat stall served by a dedicated rail system to access your boating craft with the greatest of ease. The dining room, kitchen, and breakfast room boast the same architectural details and fine finishes found throughout the home, along with gorgeous views of the lake and vistas beyond. Two pantries, glass door refrigerator/freezers, several under counter cooling boxes, trash compactors, food warming drawers, multiple dishwashers and stainless-steel gas stoves are just a portion of the amenities ready to assist the finest gourmet chef and staff. A commercial grade elevator to all three stories serves the house.
The 2-bedroom 4 bath guest/boat house is of the same quality and materials as the entire estate. Its 5,289 square feet on three stories represents a smaller compliment to the main residence. Two granite fireplaces, and a steam room are additional amenities. A 1,200 sq. ft. utility building contains a 100 kw diesel generator and electrical panels. The 1,800 sq. ft. workshop is styled in the same manner and detail as the main house. Buildings included in the development total over 44,000 square feet. The two parcels onshore are nearly 8 acres, total. Shelter Island currently consists of three structures, with the ability to build three more within the estate.
- Builder: Donald Abbey / The Abbey Company
- Photography: HJC / The Pinnacle List
- Videography: The Pinnacle List
- Location: Shelter Island, Flathead Lake, MT 59931, USA