As the temperature continues to drop outside, there are lots of people who are getting ready for the holiday season. In addition, there are lots of animals that live outside that are going to be looking for an extra source of warmth. As a result, it is not unusual for homeowners to see rodents, bugs, and other pests make their way into their homes during the cold weather seasons. In addition to being a nuisance, some of these pests can be particularly harmful. Therefore, take a look at a few of the tips below for keeping these pests out of your luxury home during the winter season.
Common Rodents That Invade the Home During the Winter
During the winter, a lot of rodents are going to look to move their nests from the outdoors to the indoors to stay warm. Some of the most common examples include mice, rats, and raccoons. In some cases, you might even hear these animals scurrying around throughout your walls. If you are trying to go to sleep at night and you hear persistent scraping and scratching in the walls of your home, then there is a good chance that you are dealing with a rodent infestation.
Even though a lot of people think about finding raccoons going through their garbage, one of the most common locations that rodents are found is actually in the chimney flue. Because it is a dark, warm place, it is not unusual for rodents to make their home in the chimney before the fire is lit for the first time during the winter season. In order to prevent rodents from infiltrating your home, there are a few tips that you should follow.
Tips for Keeping Rodents Out of the Home
There are a few tips that you should follow to keep rodents out of your home during the winter. These include:
- Trim Back the Vegetation: A lot of rodents are going to infiltrate your home by using vegetation that runs along the side of your walls and roof. Make sure that you trim back anything that the rodents might use to reach the roof and crawl inside your home.
- Inspect the Foundation: Routine maintenance is an important part of keeping rodents out of your home during the winter. Take a close look at the exterior and foundation of your home. If there are any gaps present, then they need to be filled. These gaps are common points of entry for rodents.
- Install Mesh Wire: If the gaps are not able to be completely filled, then you should think about installing mesh wire around the exterior of your home. This is an inexpensive, strong, versatile tool that you can use to keep rodents out of your home.
- Elevate the Firewood: If you have a fireplace that uses wood, then you probably keep a stack of firewood nearby. Sadly, this is a common place that mice, rats, and other rodents hide. Make sure that your logs of firewood are at least a foot or two above the ground. Store your firewood away from the home.
- Don’t Leave Food Out: Finally, you need to remove temptation as well. Do not leave food out where rodents can get it. Crumbs on the counter, residue near the fridge, and scraps underneath appliances will attract rodents to your home.
Follow these tips to keep rodents out of your home during the winter.
Common Bugs That Invade the Home During the Winter
In addition, there are a few bugs that you might find invading your home during the winter season as well. A few of the most common examples include:
- Stinkbugs: Stinkbugs are a common sight in almost every home during the winter; however, they are not harmful to humans.
- Boxelder: Boxelder bugs are another common pest that invades homes during the winter; however, they are not harmful either.
- Cockroaches: Cockroaches are common throughout the year; however, they get more common during the winter. They do release a spray that can irritate people with asthma and allergies. Once you have cockroaches, you’ll need a great cockroach bait and patience to get rid of them.
- Spiders: Spiders can be found in homes during the winter as well. Most spiders are not dangerous; however, the bite of Black Widow spiders and Brown Recluse spiders can be dangerous.
If you would like to keep spiders and other bugs out of your home during the winter, there are a few tips to follow.
Tips for Keeping Bugs Out of the Home
If you want to keep bugs out of your home during the winter, a few tips that you should follow include:
- Check the Window Screens: If there are holes in your window screens, then you need to repair them to prevent bugs from getting into your home.
- Weather Stripping: The gaps between your windows and frames or the doors and the floor can drive up your utility bills in addition to providing a port of entry for bugs and other pests. Add weather stripping to reduce your utility bills and keep bugs out.
- Keep the Home Dry: If there are damp areas throughout your home, then this is going to attract bugs. Try to keep the house as dry as possible to prevent bugs from being attracted to your home.
- Clean the Kitchen: Finally, keep the kitchen clean. Remove crumbs and don’t leave out food. Just as this can attract rodents, it can attract bugs as well.
If you follow these tips, you should be able to keep bugs at bay.
Keep Your Home Free from Pests During the Winter
These are just a few of the many pests that you may find in your home during the cold-weather seasons. If you would like to preserve the integrity of your home and the safety of those who live in it, then it is important for you to take steps to keep these pests out of your home during the winter. Make sure that you plan carefully and implement these strategies to keep bugs, rodents, and other animals out of your home during the winter.