- Name: 1 Albatross Residence
- Type: Luxury Beachfront Home
- Price: $16,875,000 USD – ($18,000,000 AUD – 2009)
- Bedrooms: 6
- Bathrooms: 6
- Levels: 2
- Size: 16,146 sq. ft. (1500 m2)
- Completed: 2008
This breathtakingly majestic 16,875 sq. ft. six-bedroom, six bath luxury beach front home located on Mermaid Beach in Queensland, Australia was voted House of the Year 2009 in the regional category of the Australia Institute of Architects Awards. Spectacularly situated on an exclusive residential street, the residence adjoins extensive park to the south and absolute beachfront to the east.
This award-winning luxury residence was created to be contemporary in design, immense in scale, providing endless options for family, entertaining and leisure. Twenty-five meters of exterior floor-to-ceiling window glazing captures the eastern beachfront vistas of the property while a private, yet expansive central entertainment core successfully maintains the intimate serenity of a private oasis with its own tropical atrium pool.
Designed to be one of the most impressive luxury beachfront homes on the Gold Coast, the Albatross residence was purchased for $16,875,000 USD ($18,000,000 AUD) in 2009 by Bruce Mathieson, the former billionaire Australian poker machine king and hotel magnate. Although the sale resulted in the most expensive property purchase in Queensland, Australia for the year, Mr. Mathieson reportedly bought the prized home on Albatross Avenue from surf and skatewear brand Global International founder Stephen Hill for $15 million AUD below the asking price.
- Architect: BGD Architects
- Interior Design: Sonia Hill – Edge Designs & Interiors
- Landscaping: Nerocane
- Photography: Remco Jansen
- Owner: Bruce Mathieson (2009) – Former Billionaire Australian Poker Machine King
- Location: 1 Albatross Ave, Mermaid Beach, QLD, 4218, Australia