The interior design consists of making the most of the colors, textures, and lighting of the space to give a greater sense of comfort to the people who live in it. Interior design is related to architecture since it also handles various plans of a home. The skills that professionals dedicated to interior design must have are a great deal of creativity and passion.
If you want to master the profession of interior designer, you need to research in detail what it is before you go to university. There are a lot of papers writing waiting for you during your program, so if you plan to work while studying, you can buy term papers online to make sure you get everything done.
What is the importance of interior design?
Human beings look for a place where they can feel comfortable and live peacefully, and this concept is subjective for each individual. This is where interior design comes in, since it studies, plans, and implements all those details or changes to make a person feel at ease with their personal space.
Adapting the environment to us is a need that we carry naturally, and as each human being is unique and has a different concept of beauty and comfort, then these professionals capture the essence of each person in this space.
The style that each individual identifies with will never be the same as another human being. Interior designers can use their knowledge to create a space tailored to any person, whether male or female.
What does interior design cover?
Within the interior design career, the following disciplines are covered:
- Art History
- Technical drawing and architectural drawing
- Principles of architecture
- Geometry of space
- Avant-garde design
The reality of an interior designer’s work
Interior design is a complex task that involves many factors to create practical and pleasant spaces taking into account aesthetic values. The work of an interior designer has a wide field of action that includes homes, stores, bars, and restaurants.
It is a fascinating profession that evolves every day at the same pace as architecture, construction materials, and decoration trends. Here we tell you what the job of an interior designer is.
The main task: training
The training process of an interior designer begins at the academy and continues over time. He or she must handle a variety of knowledge such as environmental psychology, building codes, and interior architecture. An experienced interior designer should be able to find different creative ways to make a great project.
Interior designers use a large number of computer programs for interior design. The field of application of this profession is so broad that an interior designer can choose to specialize in a certain area. Such as home design, cultural centers, industrial facilities, exhibitions, retail, transportation (ships, airplanes, and trains), and much more.
The day-to-day work
An interior designer must fulfill a series of tasks in his or her daily routine to achieve the goal of creating beautiful, pleasant, comfortable, and practical spaces according to their intended use.
Listening to the client
Before starting to tackle a project, the interior designer must sit down with the client to know what his needs are, his tastes, and the regulations that must be complied with in aspects such as safety.
In accordance with the client’s ideas, the interior designer advises him on the existing possibilities of lighting, colors, materials and finishes, alternatives for walls and floors, furniture, and other elements.
Design of the space
After knowing the client’s needs, the interior designer develops a design proposal following the function of the space. This must be innovative, practical, safe, and with a high sense of aesthetics.
When preparing the project, the interior designer must take into account ergonomic aspects, construction standards, the environmental impact of the execution of the work, and safety codes.
With all the elements at hand, he or she will then shape the project by drawing up sketches, plans, and 3D models that will recreate the final result so that the client can obtain an accurate vision of the proposal.
Approval and execution of the project
Once the client has reviewed the proposal and approved the project, the work team is set in motion to take the developed concept from the plans to the real space. The execution of the project is a complex task that includes:
- The execution of the project is a complex task that contemplates:
- Processing or verifying that the corresponding work permits are processed.
- Managing the budget.
- Defining the necessary amount of materials as well as the type of furniture and decorative objects.
- Coordinate with suppliers the supply of materials, furniture, and other functional and decorative elements.
- Execute the works to achieve the transformation of the spaces according to the approved project.
- Ensure compliance with the project schedule.
- Serve as a liaison between the different actors involved in the project, such as electricians, plumbers, architects, and inspectors, to achieve the best possible coordination between the functions of each one.
- Keeping the client informed about the progress of the project and notifying him/her of any unforeseen incidents that may arise.
- Supervise that the different professionals carry out their work according to the instructions contained in the project.
- Verify at the end of the work that everything was done according to the project.
- Deliver the project to the client and take into account their observations, if any, to apply the necessary corrective measures.
Skills and qualities a good interior designer should have
A professional interior designer needs to develop certain skills and qualities to achieve the best performance in his work. What is expected of an interior designer is:
- A clear sense of aesthetics, optimization of spaces, and great creativity.
- A good listener to accurately understand the needs of clients.
- A facility for oral and written communication; this skill is essential to transmit instructions to the work team.
- Capability to arrange time effectively.
- Willingness to work as part of a team and also to work individually.
- Must be flexible and open to suggestions.
- Proficient in design software such as AutoCAD, InDesign, Revit, Photoshop, and other 3D design and modeling software.
The work of an interior designer is dynamic, innovative, and above all creative. In addition, a good interior design professional must have a clear understanding of human nature and how it interacts with the space around him or her.
The art of turning a space into something totally different and giving it a different ambiance has become a very demanded profession and there are many people interested in these profiles.