Life comes with surprises – good or bad. Accidents, act-of-God catastrophes can come at any time of the year. And so is fire. Fire can be unexpected and very destructive. Every day of your life can be closer to fire risk.
When you have a residential property or a business establishment it is important to secure its value. After all, fire-related incidents can turn its value into almost nothing.
Can you just imagine all your personal possessions being caught in a fire in a matter of hours? Your hard-earned investments are going down the drain.
Not to mention, important documents about your family and your investments. It is a true image of disaster and you don’t want that to happen.
Securing fire insurance for your property is the logical step in protecting your assets and fixtures against unfortunate events.
Fire insurance is an insurance policy that protects the property and its contents from the destruction brought by fire.
It also provides financial assistance to replace or repair the damaged property in your home.
Reasons why you need fire insurance
- Covers losses and damages to property – In the incident of fire, it causes flames and smoke that can damage your home or office and its fixtures. Even the water that is used to put off the fire can cause damage to furniture and other goods in the building. A fire insurance policy can help you cover the losses or damages to help your business stay operational.
- Prevents you from bankruptcy – If you fail to secure a fire insurance policy, you are obliged to pay for all the losses and damages from your own savings. No agency will assist you financially in covering the costs. In some instances, a tragic fire in the business can result in the closure of the business. if you have a fire insurance policy, you have an institution that can help in sharing the financial burden so you won’t have to drain your savings to keep your business afloat.
- Provides alternative shelter – In some cases, a fire insurance policy helps you to have temporary accommodation as a home or as a business establishment in case it was damaged by fire. With this kind of assistance, you can still run your business and serve your clients
- For peace of mind – Having a fire insurance policy keeps your mind at peace in any case of unfortunate risks like fire. Even if you suffered from losses, the fire insurance policy can help you recover and rebuild your home or business.
- Covers medical expenses – In any case that your staff is injured due to the fire in your building, your insurance policy can give compensation to these employees and can also help in shouldering the medical expenses.
File your claim right away
The insurance policy will require you to file your insurance claims as soon as possible. The first thing you need to do is call your fire insurance agent to help you with the process.
You will need to submit a “proof of loss claim”. In this document, you are required to all of the items you lost in the event of the fire and include their value. How you deal with this tragic incident is very important if you are a policyholder so act promptly.
There are also other people claiming fire insurance and if you don’t take action right away, you will have to wait a long time to get your claim.
Here is the following information that you have to include in your claim:
- date of loss
- type of damage
- location of the damage
- related injuries on the fire incident
- condition of the home
- describe the damage contents
- any necessary repairs
- police report
Claiming your fire insurance can be a tedious process that involves a series of phone calls, emails, business letters, and other important documents. Ensure to put all the documents in a file and organize it to keep track of all the communication. Include post office receipts if you mailed important documents to the insurance agency.
Also, it is important to keep the original documents as proof so you won’t have to deal with more issues related to your claim. Regardless of the size, every business or residence needs a fire insurance policy.
In a business or office, there are important files, documents, and fixtures inside and if in case of fire, it will be a much greater disaster if you are unable to recover it or use your own money to recover the loss. Securing a fire insurance policy can safeguard your investments.
Remember, fire accidents can strike anytime and can be very destructive. You need a fire insurance policy to ensure the building, to pay for the replacement costs of furniture and electronic items. To protect your assets at all costs and be prepared for any unfortunate events.