A chain link fence, also known as a wire mesh fence or a cyclone fence, is a type of fencing made from galvanized or coated steel wire woven into a diamond-shaped pattern. The wires interlock at the intersections, creating a sturdy and flexible mesh suitable for varied purposes, such as enclosing a backyard, securing a construction site, or defining the perimeter of a sports field.
Top Benefits of a Chain Link Fence
- Durability: Chain link fences made from galvanized steel can withstand harsh weather conditions and are resistant to rust, corrosion, and fading. Chain link fences require very little maintenance.
- Security: Chain link fences are hard to climb and can serve as intruder barriers. You can top them with barbed wire or razor ribbon for added security. According to Forbes, any fence should be at least eight feet high.
- Versatility: Chain link fences find varied applications, including industrial, commercial, public spaces, and residential. You can customize them to suit any property size or shape.
- Affordability: Chain link fences are one of the most affordable fencing options. They are cheaper than wood or vinyl fencing, making them an ideal choice for those on a budget. F&W Fence Co. Inc. is a fence company in Salem Oregon known for high-quality fences for every budget.
- Visibility: Chain link fences do not obstruct the view, making them popular for properties with scenic views. They are also ideal for security cameras or motion sensors, as they do not block the line of sight.
- Easy to install: Chain link fences are relatively quick and easy to install, especially by a professional. It means you can secure and protect your property in a short amount of time.
Top Considerations in Choosing Chain Link Fences
- Purpose: Determine the reason for installing a chain link fence. Is it for security, privacy, or aesthetics? Knowing the purpose will help you choose the right height, thickness, and style.
- Height: A taller fence will offer more privacy and security but may not be necessary for all situations. Decide on the fence height based on your needs.
- Gauge: Gauge refers to the thickness of the wire used in the fence. The lesser the gauge number, the thicker the wire. Choose a thicker gauge wire for greater strength and durability.
- Coating: Chain link fences can have different coatings to protect against rust and corrosion. Consider the environment where you will put up the fence and choose an appropriate coating.
- Style: Chain link fences come in different styles, including traditional silver, black, and green. Choose a color complementing your property and the surrounding landscape.
- Installation: Consider the installation process and whether you want to install the fence yourself or hire a professional. Some fence manufacturers offer DIY kits, while others provide professional installation services.
- Maintenance: Chain link fences require minimal maintenance but need cleaning and repair occasionally. Choose a type that is easy to maintain and repair if necessary.
Chain link fences are a versatile, durable, affordable, and easily installable option to secure your property. You can customize them according to your needs in several ways to provide optimal protection and value for money.