The roof is the first thing that people notice when they look at your house. The roof is also the part of your house that has several uses than you may realize. The roof shields us from weather elements and insulates our home. However, your roof can get damaged if you fail to plan for maintenance. Trees and other weather elements can cause costly problems for your roof. Roof remodelling and improvement is the best possible way to keep your roof going for years. Here are a few roofing home improvement tips that you can do on a budget.
- Rust. Depending on the style of your roof, ensure you inspect it for rust. Metal roofs are the most susceptible to rust. However, you can easily remove rust by doing proper care and cleaning up. Remove and replace any rusty screws that you may notice, and then scrub off any rust on the roof using a wire brush. This may take some time and effort, but it will help stop a significant problem before it starts.
- Damaged Shingles. Being exposed to extreme weather elements and everyday wear and tear can cause shingles to be dilapidated. Damaged shingles can lead to a leak. For this reason, it is crucial to repair or replace any damaged shingles. Shingles replacement is an inexpensive roof repair that you should do ASAP.
- Leaves and Debris. Branches, leaves, and other debris can clog your gutter system and cause water to back up into the attic, living areas or behind the fascia boards. Expert builders recommend you clean your roof at least twice per year to ensure your draining system is free-flowing. Watch out for sagging gutters or damaged drain components and repair or replace them as needed.
- Trees. When admiring the beauty of your home and landscape, do not ignore leaning branches. Tall trees and bending branches pose a problem to your roof, especially when it is windy or a large storm occurs. If an accident occurs, you will cause not only damage to your roof but also to your home. Trim all large branches that are near your home to keep your roof safe.
- Flashing. The roof keeps your home dry and comfortable. Roof flashing seals off cracks and bends in the roof to prevent water from getting inside. When inspecting your home, check the chimney flashing and ensure no new gaps or rust on the metal. Repair the flashing if you notice any cracks or imperfections in your flashing.
- Insulation. Installing proper insulation will improve your ventilation and airflow. Add a gap-free layer of insulation on the attic floor and a vapour retarder under the insulation next to the ceiling top. This prevents moisture from rising into the attic, protecting your home from heat gain or loss. You can also ensure that you have vented spaces that allow air to pass freely, with at least one inch between the insulation and roof sheathing.
- Streaking. Pay close attention to the colour of your roof. Roof areas exposed to long hours of shade during humidity will eventually become streaked with mod, algae, or even fungus. If left unchecked, these elements will ultimately deteriorate your roof shortening its life span. Streaking can lead to leaks and other signs of trouble. You can try installing zinc slips along the ridge of the roof to prevent the mould situation. Zinc slips are precision engineered to provide environmentally safe, long-term roof protection from fungus, moss, mildew, or algae.
- Ice Dams. If you experience ice buildup on the roof, remove some or all of the snow between storms. This will prevent leaks into your house. Do not pry off the ice that has already formed since this could damage your roof. Use a rake to dislodge snow within three to four feet of the gutters.
- DIY Roof Repairs. If you are bold enough to attempt DIY roof repairs, remember that it can be dangerous. Always stay on a firmly braced ladder equipped with rubber safety feet if possible. If you have to walk on the roof, wear rubber-soled shoes to prevent slipping.
- Contacting Professional Roofers. If your roof repairs go beyond DIY, consider calling roof repair professionals. FSR Services Roofing is a residential and commercial roofing expert in Houston who provides superior roofing services.
With these maintenance practices, you can be sure to increase the life span of your roof. If anything seems amiss with your roof, do not hesitate to address it before it becomes a significant problem.