Enrolling in a distance education course can raise many concerns, with how to do well in an online class being a leading cause of this anxiety. Being an essay writer at the service where you can ask to write my essay, I can say that avoiding this apprehension requires a good understanding of the process of using computers during online classes. This also leads to the need for preparation, planning, and developing an understanding of one’s ability to learn and study.
Online Learning: Preparation for Success
The process of online learning begins with ensuring the computer hardware and software intended for use for participation in online classes meets the minimum requirements recommended by the school and adult learner is enrolled.
All colleges, universities, and technical schools that offer distance education courses post basic computer hardware and software recommendations on their websites or in printed brochures. The computer and related recommendations are normally for any computer platform (i.e., PC or Mac) and should be taken seriously. The inability to complete coursework, view course materials, or communicate with instructors will lead to immediate frustration and anxiety when these minimum requirements are not observed.
One example of basic requirements includes these computer and software specifications. It is highly recommended to contact the school in which enrolled to verify their specific recommendations. Once an ideal computer and software are acquired, the next step is to obtain a stable high-speed Internet connection. An Internet connection using a modem is too slow for today’s distance education classes. Either cable or DSL Internet service is preferred for online courses.
The final preparation step for online learning is establishing an e-mail account with the school. All important information regarding an online course is communicated through this e-mail account. Private e-mail accounts are sometimes preferred by students; however, using a school e-mail account eliminates any compatibility issues.
Distance Learning: Planning for Success
Planning is the next essential step in how to do well in an online class. Deciding what to study and how to study are important. Adult learners are busy with jobs, family, and other responsibilities, and online studies bring greater freedom. Planning for success requires consideration of the answers to the following questions.
- Will enrollment in an online course be used to enhance lifelong learning or meet career objectives?
- How much flexibility is needed to complete the course (i.e., can enrollment include dedicated online class meetings, occasional class meetings, or not)?
- Is there are need to enroll in and complete a specific program of study or just selected courses?
- How will financial aid, grants, or scholarships be obtained?
These are essential planning considerations that every adult must think about during the planning phase to ensure success and reduce anxiety during any online course.
Studying: Learning Strategies
Everyone has their strategies for studying and ways they learn. Another important factor is understanding how they learn – learning style. This will lead to an increased chance of doing well in an online course or class.
Although being aware of how to learn is essential, there are still several areas in which adult learners must develop different learning strategies and skillsets. These areas include:
- Math – college math courses cover an entire year of high school in one semester or quarter. The material is more complex and challenging, requiring the need for self-motivation. Learning math requires hard work, elimination of the expectation to get everything right the first time, and realize that learning takes time.
- Writing – learning strategies for developing writing skills are important because of the variety of assignments. Typical assignments include essays and compositions although other types include literature reviews, creative writing, research papers, critiques, and theses. Writing skills also include the ability to proofread writing assignments.
- Science – requires to focus on the general emphasis of each science course. Biology and geology place more emphasis on keywords and concepts. Physics, astronomy, and chemistry or the physical sciences emphasize measurement and mathematics.
How to do well in an online class involves not making common mistakes many adult students make when enrolled in online courses. These include developing procrastination, disorganization, or negativity. These are the negative aspects of distance learning and those who fall into these negative paths, soon find themselves on the road to a short and unsuccessful education experience. The habits of successful adult learners guide the completion of online courses and are indicators of dedication and willpower. Successor failure rests squarely on the adult learner’s shoulders and no one else’s. The bottom line of how to do well in an online course is based on the learner and the ability to recognize one’s weaknesses and strengths. This comes with preparing, planning, and developing the learning skills necessary to succeed.